We were in Cebu for a conference last month. It was my first time in that place and because we are presenting, we have no time whatsoever to search for any place to see, any food to eat. It is Cebu, foreigners we have talked to speak highly of tourism in that province so we got to see places.
The best way to see a new place is to travel with a local. It is also a reason why I was not really keen in researching places to go because some of the people we were with had been to Cebu before but because my batchmate in training, John who resigned 5 years ago had relocated to Cebu. Hell Yeah!!
So the first night he asked us where we want to eat, do we want to try local food. Of course we do. It was almost 10PM, nearby Ayala mall is already closed. He brought his ride so we are going places. Along the ride he kinda "tour" us a bit, pointing us to landmarks, stopping if we want to take photos. The destination is Tisa. He told us that the siomayan sa Tisa is famous. Ok, we are eating siomai. He drive us around until we reached a place where there are siomayan everywhere. Nearby is a halo-halo place and a place where we buy steamed rice. The halo-halo, which John hyped as "the best halo-halo in Cebu" we reserved for later.
There’s nothing special with the siomai but it was cheap. I spent 120 pesos for all the siomai we ate. The steamed rice is just rice with some sauce on top. It tasted like the braised beef sauce from Chowking. After that we headed to the halo-halo place, Monbi’s. It is a modern type of halo-halo and it is delicious. So delicious I had to text Angelica how good it was and to ask John to post a picture of the halo-halo in Facebook and tag all of them. We have this unresolved craving for halo-halo and a provincial trip so I believe I found a fix.
The next day, more people arrived. They saw the picture on Facebook and they want to try it too. We don’t have John to drive us to the place so we commute. The jeep went on different roads so I thought we were lost. Hahaha. I bombarded John with text messages asking for hints if we missed the place. Luckily we arrived. We ate siomai again and the hyped halo-halo. I was kinda downgrading the hype a bit so not to disappoint these people but they liked it still.
The best way to see a new place is to travel with a local. It is also a reason why I was not really keen in researching places to go because some of the people we were with had been to Cebu before but because my batchmate in training, John who resigned 5 years ago had relocated to Cebu. Hell Yeah!!
So the first night he asked us where we want to eat, do we want to try local food. Of course we do. It was almost 10PM, nearby Ayala mall is already closed. He brought his ride so we are going places. Along the ride he kinda "tour" us a bit, pointing us to landmarks, stopping if we want to take photos. The destination is Tisa. He told us that the siomayan sa Tisa is famous. Ok, we are eating siomai. He drive us around until we reached a place where there are siomayan everywhere. Nearby is a halo-halo place and a place where we buy steamed rice. The halo-halo, which John hyped as "the best halo-halo in Cebu" we reserved for later.

There’s nothing special with the siomai but it was cheap. I spent 120 pesos for all the siomai we ate. The steamed rice is just rice with some sauce on top. It tasted like the braised beef sauce from Chowking. After that we headed to the halo-halo place, Monbi’s. It is a modern type of halo-halo and it is delicious. So delicious I had to text Angelica how good it was and to ask John to post a picture of the halo-halo in Facebook and tag all of them. We have this unresolved craving for halo-halo and a provincial trip so I believe I found a fix.
The next day, more people arrived. They saw the picture on Facebook and they want to try it too. We don’t have John to drive us to the place so we commute. The jeep went on different roads so I thought we were lost. Hahaha. I bombarded John with text messages asking for hints if we missed the place. Luckily we arrived. We ate siomai again and the hyped halo-halo. I was kinda downgrading the hype a bit so not to disappoint these people but they liked it still.
![]() |
| bringing in more people |

The next night we had some drinks in our hotel room. Actually only them because I don't drink. John was not able to see the others who returned to their hotel rooms before midnight. Jeff and Nikko had other plans for the evening and left early. When John arrived, all the alcohol are gone and no one is volunteering to buy so I said I will go with John, he brought his SUV. Then the idea came to mind: we might as go to the halo-halo place again while it is still open. With that idea, everyone is now joining to buy more alcohol.
We hit the place three nights in a row, and it was awesome.
![]() |
| third night eating halo-halo |


No comments:
Post a Comment