Monday, November 19, 2012

What happens in China..

..stays in China. We intend it to be that way. I don’t really feel like telling stories. They might as well read this if they want to know.

Hongkong airport

Going to Hangzhou for AVAR 2012, there is a stopover in Hongkong then to Hangzhou. It is like I always go to Hongkong every year. I was held up by customs in China with this other Pinoy with the facial piercings in a UP maroon jacket. That experience was terrifying. I am not keen to tell that story but the customs people told me to open my luggage, and take out everything. They asked me what the fuck my cans of pineapple juice are and the bottle of facial wash. They searched the sides of my luggage for any possible hidden things. Asked me where I will stay and i have to show them my return ticket. They talked in Chinese of course, I don’t understand shit they are talking so I didn’t know if there is any problem. I asked them, the lady did not answer so I am a bit paranoid at that time. Scared shitless haha. I don’t want a similar experience with that Chyng Reyes blog about Bali,Indonesia. When they already let the other guy go and i am still under scrutiny, I have to keep my cool. That took a while, but for me it was a lifetime.

I instantly slept when we arrived in the hotel in the afternoon. The guys dine out but they were not there when I woke up so I went out on my own, planning to find a nearby McDonalds. I did not find one on the direction I selected so just settle for instant ramen in a 7-Eleven look-alike establishment, the C-Store.
I could have found this the previous night
In the morning, we tried the buffet breakfast which cost 38 RMB which in peso cost less than 300. That is cheap. The food there was delicious. We also learned that sausage in China is also called as breakfast intestine.

We went to West Lake after eating. We walked so to see what else is nearby. We passed by McDonalds. I wish I went straight that direction the night before.

West Lake

Seeing the lake, I can say nothing special. We could have tried the boats but we have to wait for it to be full. I bought the starbucks mug which cost a lot. In the US, a mug costs $11 dollars, that is less than 500 pesos while in China, the mug is 105 RMB, about 700 pesos. 
Bai Causeway

We walked around and into this man made dike. We returned to the hotel when we thought we had enough walking. We had lunch in this place near the hotel where they serve stir-fried anything. The place is small, must have a tiny kitchen so a guy with a cigarette is in the dining area (where the customers are) is doing kitchen things, chopping vegetables and meat. He is also the one who took our orders. I ordered this stir fried pork with raddish but that dish is spicy. I did not finish all of it.
After luch, we chill for awhile then off to the JW Marriot for the rehearsal. After that brief session, we returned to the hotel and wait for the others for the welcome cocktails.

Last year’s welcome cocktail was different this time because this time. Faces are familiar and we go around talking to people. After that we went to this restaurant together with the other delagates and have a feast. A lot of food was served. First time that I tried duck tongue. I was prepared to pay a lot for that but as it turns out, it was free. Jeffrey, who is a local, is paying for everything. Chinese hospitality is awesome. 
That much food
Day 1 of the Conference
It was maddening. The thought of me speaking for an audience was surreal still. Hahaha. They say that I was quiet most of the time, especially during lunch. Still, I was able to enjoy the food. The sashimi was good, the steak too and the scallops and mussels. Everything tastes good.
after this, we don't know what happened


After that is our speech. I don’t know what happened with that but I guess we did satisfactory.

There was a gala dinner after but to kill time, the guys decided to buy beer from the C-Store. Beer there is also cheap. I don't drink so again I have to explain to everyone my "condition".


The gala dinner was nice. There were some performances by a string ensemble with Chinese string instruments; a number where it appears like a routine with watery drums; another dance number with umbrellas and a female singer with a high pitched voice. Great night. The served food was also excessive but I guess that’s how it is in China. The guys from F-Secure are asking as if we have plans for the evening but the guys are not that keen in going out. We went home early.
Day 2 of the Conference
The burden of having a speech gone makes the day easy. As if nothing happened, I was able to enjoy lunch and listen to what other speakers have to say.

That night, we went to shop a little then eat on our own. We had a plan to go out that night but we slept still. What a waste of a supposed vacation.

The next day, we went to this place, Lingyin-Feilai Feng Scenic Area but because we have to check out by 12, we did not get around the temples that much. To spend all our change, we ate this tofu on a stick. A lot of it actually. Good food. I hope I brought some home. We also bought some local delicacies for pasalubong. We checked out of the hotel then went straight to the airport.

Thanks Daniela for most of the pictures haha.

Lingyin Temple

Outside the Lingyin Temple only because there is another fee to get inside the temple.
Gat and the tofu. Me on the background doing some sort of pose


No comments:

Post a Comment