Sunday, June 19, 2016

Colmar

Gare de Colmar

From across Avenue de la Republique
34,20 EUR is the train ticket for two going to Colmar from Strasbourg add another 3,40 EUR for the tram from our AirBNB to the Gare. We had clear instructions on where the AirBnB apartment is but we still got lost a little. Ben's initial landmark which was the fountain was not on the exit where we came out. The apartment is just along Avenue de la Republique. A perfect location for people like us who have a lot of luggage. We got there a little late but still ok (compared to our late arrival on Strasbourg) from the time Ben is expecting us. He is such a good host. He asked us if we need anything, if we wanted coffee. We said water would be fine. He gave us tap water with lemon flavor but luckily tap water in that part of France did not give us digestive problems. We will be staying at his house for two nights and we were just lucky to pick his place. He even let us use his washing machine. We had another issue with the wifi password in decrypting his handwriting. It took us up until the afternoon. I think we left the house that morning without connecting to his wifi.

Downtown is like 5 blocks from his apartment. Colmar is packed. There were a lot of tourists but it seems most tourists are mostly locals unlike in Paris and other cities we visited in Europe where Asians are bountiful.


 
Statues We saw at the Champ de Mars

Al fresco dining on the side of Eglise des Dominicains

St Martin Church

It was lunch time when we got there. We chose this place right next St Martin Church called Jupiler Café. I had the steak which was more than well done. I did not enjoy it. The meat was hard. We spent 35 Euro for that lunch.

Not impressed

Yes we are wine people now


Here are some of the sights we saw walking around downtown.




Musée Bartholdi





Cheese. Inside the Marché couvert

Another Cheese shop



The one place that got me to see Colmar is La Petite Venice. Going there coming from the Marche, This big cock welcomes us to the famous bridge.





Colmar tourist maps has the tourists spot listed and starred with the number and markers  you will see on that location.

 


Our last stop after the fountain is the Hirn Monument. This part of the town has not much tourists. There's a garden nearby and its still early in the afternoon. We decided to take a break. I actually slept lying in the grass.









We walked back to the apartment after my power nap. We passed by these landmarks along the way.

Château d'eau
 
Cour d'appel de Colmar
 
We went back to the apartment then back downtown again. We went to Bambou Market, an Asian grocery. We bought a can of Coca Cola and a bottle of water along with these stuff:






We walked back to this place we saw earlier called Le Stam. The waitress did not speak English. When I ordered the beer I just mumbled "bier rouge" then pointed at the beer from the other table.





Dinner cost 29,60 EUR. I kinda went light on my order. Chast evidently did not slow down on eating. It was fine though, We share food. I liked the beer. 
Going back to the Ben's place, we hang out until past midnight when I did the laundry and we watched the NBA playoff game between Toronto and Miami. He likes American sports so we had a lot to talk about. Early the next day, he was really kind to buy us bread for breakfast. We were so lucky to have a very gracious host.
 

The next day was Sunday. Some of the shops are closed and there were really less people outside. We were supposed to go to Ribeauvillé, another Alsace wine destination but there were no buses on Sundays. We hang around the apartment that afternoon then went out for dinner around 5. It was just different. The streets are very pleasant and not populated like the day before. It was very easy to take pictures.



Look how clear this street is compared to the day before

Saturday
The Fountain on Sunday
 
Le Petite Venise when there's less tourists

It was past 6PM. looking for a place to eat was a challenge. They did not serve the heavy stuff on the menu so we ended with these. Dinner was 24,90 EUR.



I was supposed to watch another basketball game and a boxing match with Ben that night but I was very tired I slept very early. The next day we have to leave. It was kinda hard to leave that city and that house. We were really at home. I will miss hanging out watching French Television.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment