![]() |
| photo from here |
Earlier this month, we went all the way to Singapore to run a half marathon. This is our first time to run in an international event. After this, we are planning on a hiatus on running. This hobby is becoming a little boring and much of a mainstream. Medyo masikip na ang kalsada, and not to mention some fun run organizers suck.
Normally in fun runs, I have on my pocket an antacid and a pack of Skyflakes just in case my upper digestive system tries to mess up with my performance. It’s like “the mind, lungs and legs are capable but the esophagus is weak” moment that I have no control of. This time, I forgot about this preparation. As I drink my first cup of water near the 7th km mark I feel the heartburn, it was really painful. This part of the route is at the entry of Universal Studios. I have to walk in the park, (literally) as the other runners either stop by to take photos(tourists posing as runners), or still run (hey, it’s still a marathon).
I cannot take anymore the pain. I was thinking if I can just see some edible plants here somewhere, fruits, leaves anything will do.hahaha.. I even asked a crew if there is an open store where I can buy food because my ulcer is killing me. He said sorry, the whole park is still closed. A few meters ahead. I saw a medic. I also asked him if he could help me. I really need something to eat. He told me stores are outside, about a kilometer ahead. He offered me to sit on a wheelchair if I can’t continue. I told him no thanks. I then again talked to him if he has antacid. That might do it. I was surprised, sumagot sya sa akin nang tagalog. Pinoy naman pala. I was thinking thank God, this guy could help me.kababayan ko pala to. Still he said he can’t help me. He still offers to sit in the wheelchair. I still refused. It’s a sign of weakness for me.Kahit masakit sikmura ko tatapusin ko tong 21km. Pinoy ako,ayoko sumuko sa pagtakbo. I asked him if he has any food. He told me he has none even though I can see his packed food of chow mein or something. I just left, walking, still in pain.
About near the 8th kilometer, Chast caught up with me and I told her the whole pinoy-medic-will-not-help-me story. Then by that time I saw another medic, she’s Singaporean(a hopefully thank God shes' not Filipino). I thought a Pinoy may not help me but I guess other nationality will. We didn’t fail. She does not have medicine and she told us that she is not allowed to give anything because she didn’t know my exact condition. Fair enough. Still she gave me a slice of cake. Of course as volunteers, they have food provisions. Thanks to her I don’t have to walk anymore. I can run again.
I finished the race 3:04:47. Not as good as I targeted, but still, I made it.

No comments:
Post a Comment