When I was a kid and I went to places with my father and we happen to bump into someone he knows, probably a relative, another soldier he has known from former assignments, a classmate etc. then the only topic they have to talk about is other people they both knew: Who’s getting promotions, whose lives are getting better, and who is getting messed up. Just about anything, and of course gossip. It really gets annoying sometimes when you just stand there and have to listen to it all.
Now I am twenty seven years old. I know people from the town I grew up, the people from my grade school, my high school, college, people from work and other people in between. When I bump into them we also talk about other people: "Nakita ko si ganito nung isang araw", "si ganito at si ganyan hiwalay na raw"; "Ang taba na ni ano"; "Balita ko si ganito nasa Dubai na"; "Si ganito nag-asawa na pala"; "Ang ganda na ng katawan ng crush mo dati, nagkadede na".
Hahaha. So now I know why. It is the easiest conversation starter there is. But still meeting a person after a very long time must be about catching on: How are you, How’s your wife, the kids, work, love life, etc.. I guess other people’s life is still easier to talk about. Especially gossip.
No comments:
Post a Comment