Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Before Midnight

They claim to be the lowest grossing trilogy of all time. When I heard they were releasing a third film I was excited. People may find it weird that a guy is the one who will ask his girlfriend to see this movie not the other way around. Hahaha. What is weirder is that I saw ladies watching this movie alone in the cinema, on the first day. The first day, I was there. I don’t usually catch a movie in the opening day. The lasttime I did that was for the third Harry Potter movie which was nine years ago. I was such a fan then so I guess I am really fan of this Before Sunrise series. Coincidentally, the last movie of this series was released nine years ago too.

I like it when Chast is happy if I bring her one of these kinda artsy-fartsy things, like going to a museum, seeing that Boldstar gig or Cinemalaya. She doesn’t really know what to expect but at least she enjoyed all of them. I remember like less than 30 minutes of the movie she asked me if are they gonna talk all throughout the movie. I answered yes with a grin. She had this "WTF" reaction but still get through the movie quite alright. I actually check on her
every once in a while if she is sleeping. That was funny. I love it that I was able to enjoy this movie with her, and she enjoyed it too.

Source. Hey, they now have twins
I still enjoyed listening to their conversations. I have to because the movie is all conversation. The characters have grown up a lot and the conversations are pretty much about life’s realities, including death. Too much realism which was in order with what the story is going through. I like how they managed to pull it of, making a new story arc for Jesse and Celine. That cliffhanger from the second movie was brilliant. "I fucked up my whole life because of the way you sing." This line from the movie connects just fine with that cliffhanger. You can say that I am watchful for cool dialogues. That one kinda lingers like that line from The Silver Linings Playbook.

I like how these movies use different European cities and when the characters pass by some place cool, they stop and talk about it. Some trivia and shit. It might help tourism. I’ve been to Nami Island in Korea and that place generally capitalizes on the fame of a hit Korean drama and a Thai movie.

I still recommend this movie. If anyone would ask which is my favorite, I don’t know. Each is different from the others because the characters do evolve within the nine years in between and each define very well the mindset of the characters at that age.

No comments:

Post a Comment