Everybody is devasted. People posted their old pictures from Bohol especially the churches. Last month we went there too, at least we saw the hills and the churches before the quake struck. My mother is supposed to go to Bohol this December but because of what happened they have to cancel the trip.
The question right now is do we have to restore these churches? These are part of Bohol heritage and in part, a reason for tourism in the island. In my opinion, I think they should not bother. These churches are made of limestones and corrals, not that easy to restore and if they choose to, it will not be as good as the original. I think I will like the ruins better compare to anything restored which will be put up on the same location or ground zero if you will. I’ve been to the ruins of St. Paul in Macau and it is a tourist spot. In the future, I will definitely see the Cagsawa ruins in Mayon.
In my own opinion, the island of Bohol is of shaky nature, geologically speaking. The Chocolate hills is somewhere in the middle of the island and it is made up of corrals. How the hills are made up are of something crazy. I am no expert but I think that island rose up from the sea.
I have this anecdote. When we were in Cebu Ferry Terminal coming from Bohol, the cab driver asked us how is Manila doing with all the calamities especially the recent typhoons. Everyone knows flooding is the norm and Pasig river is not getting any better. He boasted that Cebu is calamity free, not that much storms, although there is a war going on in Zamboanga(somewhat off topic). A month after the earthquake happened then the next month Yolanda passed by Visayas.
No comments:
Post a Comment