Wednesday, November 20, 2013

It Started with Rolled-up Sleeves

I do roll up sleeves when I wear something formal and I want to look a little casual. I am talking about dress or work shirts with long sleeves of course. I do roll them up if I want to let my hands and wrists breathe a little bit. There’s a correct way to do it and variations but I think I do it wrong and stupid most of the times. I am not a dressy kind of guy. Rolling up the sleeves has its practicality and aesthetics. Read this. An idiomatic expression "roll up your sleeve" which means prepare for hard work because literally people will roll up sleeves before some hard physical work.

What I don’t get for a very long time now is why the fuck guys roll up very short sleeves of a t-shirt. I saw a skinny college  kid once proudly wearing a shirt with the name of his university and his sleeves are rolled up. His shirt is really fit and not that loose and the sleeves are not long enough to reach his elbow, not even halfway the length of his arm. What bothers me is his sleeves are still rolled up. I don’t know why. Maybe he wants to show off his negligible muscles? But come on! The guy is fucking skinny. Rolling up sleeves of t-shirts are kinda acceptable in the military, they do that for their undershirt. There’s sense in that.

So it started with rolling up fitted shirt’s sleeves, then I saw guys roll up their short pants legs too. I don’t know if the guy I saw once in Medical City is either gay, a hipster or a douchebag. My ability to distinguish or to stereotype between those has been shattered long ago. The guy has his shirt’s sleeves rolled up too. The rolled up skinny short pants legs I don’t get. What practicality or aesthetics is it for? So again maybe, they are trying to show off their thighs haha.

Next is the rolled up jeans. Back in the days, people roll up their pants especially if the pants is not tailor-made, and really long pants so they need to roll it up. Makes sense. Sometimes they roll it inside the pants for a better look. When it is raining and you have to walk outside, you will roll up your pants too to prevent it from getting wet. Nowadays, for no real reasons people roll up their pants legs. Hipster culture I think. This time I think they want to show off their shoes, mostly boat shoes and no socks. It is not just the younger guys who do it because last Sunday I saw an old guy do it like that. I would have posted this on facebook but I know I might lose some friends over this.
I can't find a pin rolled jeans photo. ito na lang

No comments:

Post a Comment