As an annual thing, I try my best to complete all the Sunday masses during the Lenten season, including also the Ash Wednesday mass – even now that I am in Singapore. I just have something to say though; I also try my best to look presentable when I go to church. People, there is a dress code. Before the mass, they have this sign that say "Please dress appropriately for the mass". It seems nobody pays attention, and the ushers don’t care. Back in the Philippines, Chast was told by the guard that her top, which was sleeveless was not allowed inside the church. That was when we were up for Confirmation. Not that it was a sacrament we are attending which justifies the correct clothes, but it has to be an everyday thing.
Now who am I to say this shit? I am not a religious guy. Why do I know this shit? Why should I care? I don't even do the confession and communion. Well, dressing appropriately is the least I can do. It's like house rules, and I am just a visitor. Like when visiting an Asian house, and you have to leave your shoes outside. The church has its own rules. I remember this scene from The Hunchback of Notre Dame when the priest blocks an arrest because the house of God is a sanctuary:
Now who am I to say this shit? I am not a religious guy. Why do I know this shit? Why should I care? I don't even do the confession and communion. Well, dressing appropriately is the least I can do. It's like house rules, and I am just a visitor. Like when visiting an Asian house, and you have to leave your shoes outside. The church has its own rules. I remember this scene from The Hunchback of Notre Dame when the priest blocks an arrest because the house of God is a sanctuary:
BOY: Sanctuary! Sanctuary!
PRIEST: Get inside! (pushes him into the Cathedral)
BOY: Thank you, Father (disappears)
PRIEST: (bars CAPTAIN from entering) Stop!
CAPTAIN: Aside! I'm going to arrest him, he's a thief.
PRIEST: The House of God is sanctuary for all. The power of your Law stops at this doorway.
Way back when in Antipolo where I did attend my Lenten mass, I bumped into my grade school junior with her daughter, who has a lot to say on what I was wearing: she asked me to dress properly if I go to mass. Well yeah, she has a point. I was just wearing shorts, and flip flops: simbang tabi. When we attended mass in the United States, Catholics there do dress for the occasion: the African-American women dress wonderfully, some has headdresses. People wear nice clothes: pangsimba. I don’t have a lot of long sleeves or polo shirts so most of the time, I feel really under-dressed. But it’s just me. Comparing to what I wear to what most people around me wear on my 4th time going to church here in Singapore, well, I can say is, simbang-Eastwood. That is how I describe it, with my early days working were in that area and occasionally going to mass, though at the nearby Padre Pio Shrine, dress code is strict. They even have malong outside as to women who are not properly clothed could utilize.
When we have a road trip to Ilocos, I make it a point to bring pangsimba clothes as to my mother-in-law will make us go to church on Sundays.
There's this proper attire thing I found online. Mass should be sacred, it should not be like going to the mall.

No comments:
Post a Comment