Thursday, October 13, 2016

Brutus Altares: April 28 2005 - Oct 13 2016

They say that the veterinarian will put a pet’s surname the same the pet’s human for easier logging. Make sense that Brutus last is Altares although he never had his own vet, even at his last days. He is an Altares. He is family.

I cannot believe I am writing this right now. I know this day will come, but not this soon. God, he’s just recovered from some sickness but we did not take notice of something more serious. His hair just got great again. I am not ready for my dog to be an obituary in here.

An old photo form when the floor still has linoleum
  



Brutus was with us on Our Wedding Cake
 


 
Dogs of Instagram
We had him on my sister’s birthday, May 29th 2005. He was born April 28th. We very well know that date. My sister was still on review for her board exams when she heard puppies being born from our next door neighbor. He’s our only dog that who celebrated his birthday. Before my niece came into this world, our dogs, all of them would stay inside the house all the time. They were our babies, Brutus is the biggest puppy, and he will always be a puppy to us. He’s very playful and his appetite is just awesome. At his size, I used to be the only one who could walk him outside if my father is not around as he is very strong for my mother and sisters. In his advanced years it is kinda painful to see him became weak and not be able to run much. He has big strong legs. As a puppy it was almost weird for us to see we have a dog with a small body and long legs. He’s the biggest dog we ever had. His crazy appetite deteriorated too. Before, he needs to be on a leash when we feed them because he will also eat the food for the other two dogs. In his last days, they have to watch him finish his food first or the other dogs will eat his.

December 2005: Brutus was a puppy and Omaroux was Santa
He got sick as a puppy. Like he contacted distemper but because my sister had the money that time, to bring him to the veterinarian and be admitted for a couple of days. He’s been strong since. He eats a lot. Ate Maritess was also very fond of him when she came to visit. She wanted to take Brutus with her one time. How can anyone not like the big dog who's always hungry anyway. 

Our favorite anecdote of Brutus is the Fruit Cake Episode. My mother got us fruitcake for the Christmas holidays maybe 2005 or 2006. This was the time when the family has just enough money for the important stuff. Having a fruitcake is considered a luxury. My sister and I sliced the first half of it into thin slices so as not to eat too much, we don’t want to be greedy and we both ate a slice each. We left the cake in the dining table. When we came back, half the cake was gone, and it was Brutus who ate it. That was the time when he was not yet trained to have manners when it comes to food.

He has seen how our family progressed through the years. How his first collar was just an old belt or a military bag strap until we can buy him a proper one. When I went to the States the first time, I got him a big one, one that fits a Doberman. I bought him another in a local store when that one get old. When I returned to the US, I just have to buy him another collar. US dog collars are better. It was the last one he used. Lasted three years. Would have been more.

Losing him, was on my thoughts for quite some time. I had dreams. Lots. It maybe just an effect of the books I read but I don’t know. I dreamed of a dying cat once, the cat was my pet in my dreams. I had a dream of Brutus, it must be him but in my dream the dog is not black but white. I also dreamed of our old house many times these past months.
I miss my dog, he’s the reason why I need to come home because I need to buy him stuff: dog food, vitamins, soap and shampoo, whatever lacks in the inventory by the time I got there. I can’t be there all the time, it is the most I can do. I really hate to see him age each time I went home. Being away months at a time, only make the changes in him more noticeable. The only thing we’ve done together is to walk on our street and give you your bath. I will miss the way you cry like a child when you want to go outside. You will always be our baby even though how big you became.

Tomorrow I will come home and you will not be there. Now I am crying again.


No comments:

Post a Comment