Monday, February 7, 2011

(500) Days of Summer


I am all praises for this movie.
First it opens with an author’s note that it is a work of fiction, any resemblance to persons living or dead is coincidental. Especially you Jenny Beckman. Bitch. Hahaha. I love it.
The title itself puzzled me. It is catchy, which is good but why 500 days of Summer? It turns out that the girl’s name is Summer. It’s kinda like “Good Will Hunting”.
What struck me first is the movie soundtrack. The opening song was a Regina Spektor. It automatically gives me a sense that the movie is “no bullshit”. I know I will not sleep watching this movie unlike the last rom-com I have seen which was “Going the Distance”. That movie sucked by the way. The shifting mood throughout the film is covered by great songs. It’s a movie since “Juno” that I liked the soundtrack. It is really good to see a movie wherein after seeing the film, I have to know all the songs used in the movie.
I also enjoyed the non-linear narrative form for the story. I have seen movies where the story is told backward. This type is refreshing for me.  There is also a dance sequence in the film during his high times on being in love with Summer and he thought she loved him too. I think this is cool showing the happiness of the character. It is funny. I always think that these dance montages are made just to lengthen a movie a bit but in this case, I think that it is being called for.
The characters are also great. It is very funny that the main character Tom seeks love advices from her younger sister. She is so young she’s still in High School. His problem is of course, Summer. He’s like the cuddle bitch of the highest form and nobody wants to be in that position.  Summer is played by Zooey Deschanel. I liked her eversince i saw her in “Almost Famous”. The Summer character is of course you want to hate but you can’t. She is Zooey Deschanel.  You would really feel for the Tom character the misery of being the cuddle bitch.
The narrator’s voice is also cool.
Cinematography is also cool. It is an indie film so I expected something cool in that department. I like one sequence during the story’s dénouement where there is a split screen of Tom’s expectation and what is reality. Very creative.
I really enjoy this film. I was lucky to stumble upon this title as I was searching for good movies worth watching during this Oscar season.

2 comments:

  1. i didn't know you're a sucker for cheesy movies. hahaha...loved 500 days of summer though. and that bi*ch summer.
    going the distance was fine, it was just justin long i do not like very much. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Oden.I love chick flicks but not everything which big studios think would sell just because big actors are on them. I love Summer and the enigma that surrounds her.

    ReplyDelete