Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

Social media reminded me that Alanis Morissette’s Jagged Little Pill album is 19 years old. Reminds me of my age. 18 years ago, I had Dengue Fever around this time (October 1996). Head over Feet was released as a single the previous month. I was listening to the whole album  when my sister was able to borrow a cassette tape from her classmate. She was a high school freshman and I was in 6th grade. Good times. That was how I go emo, at a pre-emo era.

that I would be loved even when I was fuming
that I would be good even if I was clingy
that I would be good even if I lost sanity
that I would be good
whether with or without you 
 

Why am I writing about the follow up album which was not as successful? That album is really underrated. Making a followup must be really hard but the writing of the songs on that album was really good, and deep [so deep I could almost see Adele rolling]. The title also speaks for itself, like growth or something. The song "That I Would be Good" alone, gives an idea of reconciliation to her former angry self, atonement if you will. I love Jagged Little Pill but songs from this album have a good perspective. There’s also the song "Unsent". I could listen to that song on replay. The composition of these songs are awesome.
 

Speaking of Adele, she had a good last album, the one with Rolling in the Deep. I like that album but her past songs are good too, it’s just that mainstream loving fans had finally heard about her because of the last album. I guess she was angry too. Right as Rain will still be my favorite Adele song. I would like to hear what her new material would sound like right now she is in a happy state. Would she be like Alanis post Jagged Little Pill? Too bad she wont be releasing a new album soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment