Monday, January 5, 2015

Tayabas - Lucban Food Trip 2014

I told the guys I will drive them to Lucban when I returned from my US assignment, so I did. October 6 was Eid al-Adha. I have the four of us again, the original group of the Pahiyas roadtrip.

Lucban is an ultimate food trip destination. We went there going through the Tanay route (when we did Pahiyas), what we called the Laguna backdoor or lake circumnavigate haha, then from SLEX to San Pablo. This time we tied yet another route, by going through SLEX then Tayabas first. In effect, we will go around Mount Banahaw this time.

My mind was set to see the Tayabas Basilica (Minor Basilica of St. Michael the Archangel), then buy some of that famous budin: the local cassava cake.

The highway after San Pablo City was something new. This road for me is way crowded compared to the less traveled highways we used before. I don’t prefer this route. That will be the last time we would go through there knowing we will always go back to Lucban in the future. Driving though was a good experience. I did not bring a map. Angelica is not with us this time (for some reason I can't remember like work haha), meaning no google maps. If we lost our way, then some good luck is pretty much welcome. I missed some turns but we got back to the right direction right away. Karl knows some of the roads we took, so yey!

We knew we are near the basilica when we reach this end of the road then in front of us looks like a big enclosed lot where there seems to be the bell tower peaking through the trees and whatever. We have to go around that big lot to be on the entrance. 


Here is the church:








After looking around, bathroom break and taking some pictures, we are on a mission to buy that famous cassava cake. There’s the Rodillas store near the church but everything is sold out. We found out later that Rodillas stuff were sold in other places like the Palaisdaan so maybe, the people who resell these maybe the ones who buy the stuff early. A few blocks down the main road, is Kalye Budin. This is the street where budin and other delicacies are sold, hence the name (duh?) But seriously, the street’s name is E. Jacinto.



There were some new stock of the yema cake when get to the Rodillas Restaurant. Score! We bought a lot of their stuff.






We are off to Kamayan sa Palaisdaan. This is good time to redeem myself. Chast was not there when we went there the first time. So she can’t keep up on our stories on how delicious the food was. Service was slow, but the food was great. We also saw a snake caught a fish then some guest felt the urge to be a hero or whatever then decided to hack the snake with a machete. I think the snake did escape. Stupid guy. Palaisdaan nga e, may bukid pa sa likod. Natural, may ahas.


Busog. We ordered pla-pla, the pako salad then sinigang na sugpo, which I think comprises of 4 prawns. Good times.




Next stop again, is Kamay ni Hesus.







 

 



After that is Lucban Town proper. 




We were able to park at the church’s façade. I remember when we went there the first time; we parked inside the elementary school, which was really far from the church. We walked around the town from boundary to boundary, looking at the town’s festivities. This time though, we are there for specific food to eat:

Salud’s Halo-halo – this is always a must. The best halo halo


Prices has gone up ten pesos compared to our last visit



Mama Lydia’s Special Siopao - this place is a godsend if I am in my college years trying to save money for vices haha



We were supposed to buy longganisa from Eker and Ely’s but because of me and Irene’s long decision time on which bayong to buy this time, the longganisa was sold out. The person in front of us on the line was the last person to get some. Damn! We ended up buying from Abcede’s, which from the look of it, is also the second choice of other people who’s buying there. I bought 4 dozens for 300 Pesos.

No comments:

Post a Comment